St John is a perennial favorite on most of the Best Destinations Lists. With over 2/3rds of St John island under the protection of the Virgin Islands National Park … guests will enjoy beautiful beaches, miles of hiking trails, and explore early plantation-era ruins that dot the island. Island activities include ecotours, kayaking, SUP / standup paddle boarding, windsurfing, fishing charters, snorkeling and diving! You’ll also find a wonderful selection of shops, island bars and restaurants! Here are some of our favorites ..
ST JOHN INFORMATION
St John Beach Guide – Check out the over 3 dozen beautiful St John beaches! This site includes some great pictures, maps and snorkeling information. Visit: www.StJohn-BeachGuide.com
St John Tradewinds – Island news, information and goings-on! Visit: www.StJohnTradewinds.com
News of St John – An Online Blog About the Daily Happenings of St. John, USVI Visit: https://newsofstjohn.com/
BRING CASH. TAXIS DO NOT TAKE CREDIT AS PAYMENT OR TIPS
Private Airport Transportation – Great for groups, families and wedding parties! Book online. Reserve To + From Cyril E King Airport (STT) to Red Hook ferry. And reserve your return from Red Hook to Cyrl E King Airport (STT). Convenient, non-stop service, no baggage fees!
Book Online with CaribbaConnect
Brenda and Franko – https://brenda-n-frankosfuntours.com/private-adventures/airport-transfers/ (they do take CC payment online).
Warren’s Taxi Servive – (340) 998-1077 or (340) 474-0090
Rachel’s Taxi Service – (340) 771-2986
Taxi & Ferry Information:
- Option 1. At the St. Thomas airport, if you did not hire a private service, you will easily find a taxi van by the baggage claim area. Ask for a taxi to take you to Red Hook, which is a 30-45 minute ride depending on traffic, how many cruise ships are in town, and how many stops the taxi makes on the way. It will cost approx. $15 per person plus a per bag fee to get from the airport to Red Hook, where the ferry will take you to St. John. The Red Hook ferry leaves every hour on the hour and takes about 20 minutes.
- Option 2. Inter Island Boat Services (IIBS) provides a service out of Crown Bay Marina to St. John Creek every day that leaves 3:30 and 5:30. Crown Bay is only 5 minutes from the Airport. You can go to the taxi station and ask for a ride to Crown Bay, but it is easier if you notify IIBS of your travel date and they will arrange taxi from the Airport. The ferry ride is about 40 minutes. https://www.interislandboatservices.com/
GROCERY STORES, PROVISIONING SERVICES, & PRIVATE CHEFS
Starfish Market is St. John’s largest grocery supermarket and is in Cruz Bay. They carry thousands of food items including a full deli and meat department, fresh produce and an in-store bakery. They stock an unparalleled assortment of fine wines, spirits and beers and specialty cheeses and hors d’oeuvres. Shop their online market and have your items delivered to your villa or rental upon your arrival! www.starfishmarket.com
Dolphin Market has a location in Cruz Bay and Coral Bay and prides itself in being the #1 option for locals and visitors alike. You can shop online as well. http://dolphinmarkets.com/
Calabash Market in Coral Bay is the closest market to Villa Agel. It is small but has a nice variety and fresh fish twice a week. Some homemade Mediterranean food as well!
DRUG STORE / PHARMACY
Chelsea Drug Store – Located on the 2nd Floor of the Marketplace. Pharmacy, water sports gear, beach toys, suntan lotions, soaps, shampoos and more!
ST JOHN ACTIVITIES & SNORKEL GEAR RENTALS
Crabby’s – Located in Coral Bay in front of Aquabistro is the closest option to Villa Agel. They rent daily or by the week http://crabbyswatersports.com/
VI Ecotours – A huge selection of kayak, hike and snorkel adventures on St Thomas and St John. They also run the Honeymoon Beach Hut and Bikinis Beach Bar on Honeymoon Beach, St John. Check them out here: www.VIEcotours.com
SUP St John – From beginner to professional SUP boards and gear rental. Owner, Lucy, also provides lessons! Check them out here: www.SUP-StJohn.com
Reef2Peak – Rentals of kayaks, Paddleboards, Snorkel & Beach Gear. Tours! Located on Maho Bay. https://reef2peak.com/
Beach Bums – Located near the ferry dock in Cruz Bay. Beach Bums sells all sorts of water sports gear and rentals. Check them out here: www.StJohnBeachBum.com
Chelsea Drug Store – Located on the 2nd Flr of the Marketplace. Pharmacy, water sports gear, beach toys, suntan lotions, soaps, shampoos and more!
Coral Bay Taxis
● Lisa and Mitchell: 340-513-7444 ● Owen :(340) 626-6274 ● Chico: 340-690-6507 ● Moses: 340 642 2043 ● Elvis: 340-642-0555 ● Ricky Penn: 340-513-1627 ● Merv: 340-690-1244 ● Erin: 340-344-4234 ● Avery: 340-690-0177 ● Starfish: 340-998-6139 ● Clayton: 340 626 0573 ● Tafari Oliver 340 998 0231 ● IslandVybz Whipz 340-643-9671
Island Roots – Is a private boat charter that specializes in customizing each trip to the interests of their guests. From birdwatchers to sunbathers, snorkelers, photographers, free-divers, cocktail connoisseurs, food enthusiasts, folks seeking the ‘best of’ the islands to casual-fun-boaters looking to just enjoy the breeze and some time on the water. www.islandrootscharters.com
Salty Daze is quickly becoming a guest favorite! Leaving right out of Coral Bay, these pontoon boats are super comfy, take you to the best snorkel spots, Lime Out, and they have a slide! https://saltydazeusvi.com/
Sunshine Daydream Boat Charter – World Cat 270SD, up to 10 guests, Coast Guard Certified, trips to USVI and BVIs. Check them out here: www.SunshineDayDreamsVI.com
RockHoppin’ Adventures – Power boat charter, St John and BVI tours. Snorkeling, SUP. Check them out here: www.RockHoppin.com
Kekoa – A 50-foot wooden catamaran, with her distinctive black sails, is a popular way to see Jost Van Dyke, the out-islands of St John, a sunset sail or private charter. http://blacksailsvi.com/
Stormy Pirates – Two 42’ Power Boats that take a maximum of 12 people per tour. If you want more time on the island and less on the boat, this is a fast way to get there. They offer several BVI tours (with and without snorkeling), including some overnight. https://stormypirates.com/
Bad Kitty – Offers a “Best of the BVIs” tour on one of their two 49′ wave piercing power catamarans that are built for speed and comfort for up to 28 people. http://calypsovi.com/bad-kitty-5-stop-4-island-tour-british-virgin-islands/
Beach Charters – has quickly become a favorite with both locals and visitors. They currently have three charter boats in their fleet – A 38 foot catamaran and a 26 foot Glacier Bay catamaran and a 31 foot power boat. http://www.secondchanceyachtcharters.com/photo_gallery.htm?action=details&record=8
Busy Bee is a 2006 World Cat 250dc with a pair of bulletproof Yamaha 150hp outboard engines https://www.busybeevi.com/ Busy Bee departs from Coral Bay! They also specialize in dive trips!!
Flyaway Charters has a 26 foot Glacier Bay Power Cat. Captain Colin and his crew specialize in educating guests about the history of the island and snorkel trips! https://flyawaychartersvi.com/index.php/st-john-uncovered/ This one also departs from Coral Bay.
Sandy Paws has a 37′ Chaparral 350 Signature aptly named Painkiller! Boat has ample space for 8-10 people including an air conditioned cabin, full bathroom, 2′ swim platform, and sundeck. Departs from Cruz https://sandypaws-vi.com/
Mahiya is a custom, professionally built elegant wooden catamaran with Polynesian flair. Our trips will take you to less traveled areas than most charters. Come and discover the well-kept secrets of the East End! Departs Coral Bay http://www.virginmagic.com/home.html
With miles and miles of hiking trails inside the VI National Park – you’ll need to visit St John several times to hike them all. But here’s a good TOP 10 LIST.
RESTAURANT + BAR GUIDE
Restaurants come and go frequently, and many shut down during the off-season (Aug – Oct) so please check before heading out to eat! On island, Facebook is also the preferred method to communicate specials and live music offerings. Here is an interactive restaurant map created by IslandTidbits.com: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1tHyTc_dHc42yYDvgrU96Ei-ier-NeG0&usp=sharing
– Something for everyone. Offering local flavor, classic burgers, fish tacos, pasta, seafood, salads and daily specials. Kids menu
, vegetarian and gluten free options are available. Live local music is offered 3-4 times per week during dinner hours. Check out their website for more info http://www.aquabistrostjohn.com/
Miss Lucy’s – Local
Virgin Island cuisine plus unforgettable views of Friis Bay! Thursday is Open Mic Night – lots of talented locals and visitors! Bring your own chair as it is popular! Jazz Brunch 10:00-2:00 on Sundays! https://www.facebook.com/MissLucysInCoralBay
Ekaete Pink Corner – Authentic local family-owned restaurant at the corner of Rte 10 and Rte 107. Pink Building. No website or Facebook page.
Shambles – Great place to catch your favorite sports game and grab a reasonably priced bite to eat. Bloody Mary Bar on Sundays. Vegan options also available. Located across from Paradise Lumber. On Facebook Shambles
Windmill Bar – Directly across from Shambles. Serving lunch and dinner. Join them for Happy Hour from 3-6 p.m. at the best sunset spot in the Virgin Islands. https://windmillbar.com/
CoCo Jim’s – located next to Midway gas & grocery. Stop by for a delicious lobster roll, smoothies and cold drinks!
Colombo’s Smoothie – Under New Management – It is not a trip to St. John without a stop at Colombo’s for a made-to-order smoothie at the intersection of Centerline and Northshore Dr on the way from Coral Bay to the North Shore beaches.
Morgan’s Mango – This Island classy restaurant has served fresh Caribbean and Seafood since 1992! Lobster Night twice a week – get reservations! http://www.morgansmango.com
The Longboard –
a Caribbean-inspired Coastal Cantina, focusing on fresh, local ingredients, offering light and healthy fares and creative cocktails inspired from coastal regions around the globe. https://www.thelongboardstjohn.com/
Cruz Bay Landing
– casual culinary experience offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner just steps away from the ferry dock. Boasts an outside bar, a 22′ shuffleboard table, an interior coffee bar featuring locally roasted coffee from Virgin Islands Coffee Roasters http://www.cruzbaylanding.com/home.html
The Lime Inn –
Dining in a tropical garden setting with an outdoor grill featuring charcoal grilled fish, steaks, & Caribbean lobster. Nightly chicken & pasta specials. https://thelimeinn.com/
Sun Dog Cafe
– casual dining option in the center courtyard of Mongoose Junction, and home to the Gecko Gazebo, an open-air bar. Unpretentious and relaxing, the menu has something for everyone. Great live music on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday Evenings. https://www.sundogcafe.com/
The Terrace –
a French-influenced, chef-driven restaurant that is redefining fine dining in the Virgin Islands with an elevated yet accessible menu featuring fresh local and flown in seafood, meats, premium ingredients and an eclectic wine list.https://www.theterracestjohn.com/
High Tide –
Relax with the sound of waves on the beach, and one of the best places to eat and watch the sunset. High Tide serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily. Ice cold drinks, happy hour, and live music welcome you! http://www.hightidevi.com/
– brings you modern “island to table” style cuisine located in the heart of Cruz Bay. The concept celebrates every aspect of what it means to eat local with a modern take on traditional Caribbean dishes and ingredients that are fresh, local and sustainably sourced. The gorgeous third story bar is rumored to have the best sunset view on the island – reservations strongly recommended! https://ocean362.com/
Café Roma –
Fine Italian dining featuring chicken, veal, seafood & vegetarian specialties, wood fired house pies. Air conditioned. http://www.stjohn-caferoma.com/
– dedicated to locally grown and sourced products, grow most of their herbs on site, and most of the fish from local fishermen (you will often find their names printed on our menu next to the fish they caught that day). www.extravirginbistro.com
The Fish Trap
– is a restaurant and fish market that serves high quality, delicious, and fresh fish (Caribbean lobster, wahoo, swordfish, salmon, ahi tuna, crab cakes, mussels, clams and more!) perfectly cooked pasta, crispy salads, tender and juicy meats, award winning desserts and more. www.thefishtrap.com
Ronnie’s Pizza –
St. John-style pizza parlor with New York-style pizza, salad bar, sandwiches & coffee specialties. Fresh dough with no preservatives. Over 10 years of pizza making experience. Delivery available every night 6-9. http://www.hillcreststjohn.com/ronniespizza.html